Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Thoughts at 2am

It is 2am right now and I cannot sleep. My roommates are sound asleep and I have to admit I am jealous. So, in my sleepless state, I thought I would do some writing and share what has been on my heart as of late.


"If you are being obedient, you will find yourself in situations where you feel humanly inadequate of achievement. We are not living in the Spirit if we can manage everything."
~ Beth Moore


I'm not sure what you think of that particular quote. It's a bold statement. I actually quite like it and if I'm honest with myself and with God, I would have to admit that this statement is true. I can't seem to get it out of my head either. I heard it said last week and I have been thinking about it ever since!
I often have this illusion that when things are going well in my life - when there is order and comfortableness - it is because God has perhaps gifted me with organizational and time management skills. Yes, God has gifted me with some of those things, but I fail to recognize that when I am in control - when things are going according to my plans, I am working independently of God.


This is something I have been learning over the course of the last 7 months in particular. In many ways, my life has been turned upside down. I'm living in a country half way across the world from all that I consider comfortable and safe. I have had important relationships in my life change. My perspective on what I consider important in life has been altered. I am living beyond my comfort zone and it turns out, this is exactly where God wants me. I am left to rely solely on the grace and the strength of the Living God.


It is in seasons like this, where God takes the reigns from my hands. It is a time where I am opened to experience more of God's fullness and transforming power in my life. It is through these seasons where I feel inadequate that God is able to bring total order into complete chaos. There is opportunity for growth. There is opportunity for God to use my chaos and the mistakes I have made, redeem them and transform them into something Holy and for His Glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment