Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Little Review

It's been awhile since I've updated you guys on what I have been learning and how I have been growing with God. The last 2 weeks in particular have been especially intense (in a good way though). We just finished a 3 day session time with Keith Martens on Spiritual Authority. Each time I left our sessions I felt inspired and challenged to implement some new practices into my prayer life. My head is still a bit jumbled as I am still trying to sort all of this stuff out, but I'll start things off.

Simply said, we as Christians, have the authority of Jesus Christ within us to do things like heal the sick and cast out demons. I have to admit, that when I first heard these this, I thought these were things that only certain very spiritual people, gifted with this very special spiritual gift. After further exploration through discussion and looking at scripture, I am more convinced and convicted that this is something I need to practice on a more regular basis. Don't worry, I won't be walking around the streets of Winnipeg casting out evil spirits, but I feel more equipped and able to immerse myself in these kind of situations, but there are also some practical ways of making sure that you are protecting yourself when you pray. Over the last few days we had the privelege of learning to practice some of these things on a more hands on basis. It was a pretty neat experience.

Now, you might be wondering (or maybe no one is wondering, but I'll explain this a little more anyway) what makes someone think they have the authority in them to do this kind of work.
Throughout the gospels and in Acts, there are numerous examples and teachings on doing this very thing.

Mark 1:27
"Amazement gripped the audience, and they began to discuss what had happened "What sort of new teaching is this?" they asked excitedly. "It has such authority! Even evil spirits obey his orders".

Matthew 10:1
"Jesus called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to cast out evil spirits and to heal every kind of disease and illness."

Matthew 10:7
"Go and announce to them that the Kingdom of Heaven is near. Heal the sick, raise the dead, cure those with leprosy and cast out demons. Give as freely as you have received."

Acts 1:8
"But when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, you will receive power and will tell people about me everywhere - in Jerusalem, throughout Judea in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

These are just a few of the examples that I am talking about. In each of these verses, Jesus is telling His disciples, people like you and me, that because they have the Holy Spirit living and working in them, that they have the same authority as Jesus Christ. I don't know about you, but I never really thought about these verses like that before. I always assumed and was brought up to believe that it was Jesus who had the authority to do things like this, not me. My spiritual world was shaken and I'm liked it. I enjoyed the thinking outside of the box. I'm still not so sure I have the lingo down to pray this stuff, but I am learning. This is a work in progress and there is a great freedom in knowing that I have authority through Jesus Christ.

Thoughts anyone???

No comments:

Post a Comment