Tuesday, September 14, 2010

And so it begins

Well, I am officially into day 3 of Trek and already it's been quite the experience. All is fairly overwhelming as I adjust to a busy schedule, new roommates and a new environment. This is not at all what I am accustomed to, but that being said, I am incredibly excited for what God is going to do in my life in the year ahead.

I have already heard some incredible speakers speak. Steve Klassen is a passionate speaker and his enthusiasm for the gospel of Mark and just being a disciple of Jesus makes me pumped up. He is truly inspiring to listen to and it will be a privilege to study with him for the next 2 months.
Worship times have also been incredible. Worship here is simple - 1 accoustic guitar and 14 voices. The incredible part is how the Holy Spirit shows up and moves in ways you can't even begin to imagine. It's exciting to just think about!

Yesterday we all headed out to White Rock for the afternoon to spend time together and to do a photo scavenger hunt. It was a good icebreaker and it was awesome to get to know people better that way. Plus, it's a beautiful place. It was sweet to be able to go into the ocean in September. I'm definitely not in Winnipeg anymore!

All these good things aside, I have also been struggling with missing home. I am a homebody through and through. There have been a few moments of tears when I long for the comforts of my own bed, no roommates and time to myself. The homesickness has been hard. I am so blessed to have Kristy so close by to come and rescue me for cups of coffee and a familiar face. Thank you Kristy!

I have quite a bit of reading to do before my next session in a half hour, so I should probably go do that, but I will leave you with a few pictures of where I am staying and my surroundings.

This is the Mark Centre

It is a beautiful retreat centre situated in the heart of Abbotsford - there are litterally residential houses on either side and a short distance away from the nearest Starbucks - only 0.9km to be exact!

But seriously, this place is beautiful. It is cool that this where I get to live for 2 months.


Hot Tub area.

My room is called Expectancy and I share it with 2 other girls.


It's nothing too fancy, but the beds are surprisingly comfortable.



Thank you to those of you who have been praying for me so far. You have no idea how much I have appreciated your prayers and emails. It's been nice to have a little taste of home. Please continue to pray for me as I make adjustments here on Trek and learn to live in a very intimate community with fellow Trekers. Also pray for peace in the moments of being homesick. Now, I must get onto that reading!

1 comment:

  1. That is a beautiful place to live! Glad your excited about the program. So happy you have Kristy nearby as you begin this journey. Will keep you in my prayers as you miss home. xo
    - Jess

    ReplyDelete