Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Last 48

I have just come off of the most incredible 48 hours. It was spent in complete silence - no internet, no phones, no books, no talking (easier said than done when you live in community with 13 other people). All I had with me was my bible, my jounal and time with God. Like I said, it was incredible.

I experienced the goodness of God in so many ways. God spoke. I was reminded of who I am - my passions, the things that drain me. God drew me to Psalm 139 and I dove into it. I spent time soaking up every word, listening intently to what God had to say to me. It's a familiar passage - most of us are famaliar with it and can quote most of it for memory. But God uncovered new truths for me. I was reminded of how much God delights in each of us and how God invites us to delight in Him. There is wonderful, beautiful freedom in knowing who you are and being fully alive in the presence of Jesus.

The idea of a silent retreat is something I want to implement in my life when I come home and get back to the grind of everyday life. I don't think I would do another 48 hour one, because

a) 48 hours was a little long - I was running out of steam at about 36 hours and
b) carving 48 hours out of your everyday life is a lot harder than when it is planned into your schedule and something you are forced to do.

But, I do want to adopt the principle of taking time out of the hectic, busy world that has been known as my life to joyfully step into the presence of God - to listen, to soak up and experience Him in a very intentional way.

We celebrated being done our silent retreat, even though it really wasn't that bad, with a Trek alumni BBQ and a girls sleepover. 10 girls all crammed into one room makes for a very hot and short night's sleep, but it was fun making memories with each other and delighting in the present moment.
I apparently really suck at taking pictures, so my goal this week is to do better documenting of life here in BC through pictures.

Stay tuned...



No comments:

Post a Comment