Friday, December 3, 2010

Hello December

It is that time of year again. The time of year where Christmas program planning and practicing gets underway. People are suddenly in a hustle and bustle to get everything on their "to do" lists crossed off and those special Christmas presents bought. This year, Christmas is not looking like it normally does. First off there is no snow, but the weather here is definitely cool. I'm not running around from mall to mall to find a Christmas gifts for family and friends with my white peppermint mocha in hand (Portugal does not have such a drink and I was disappointed to discover that). I am however, in the Christmas program planning and practicing mode.

It's almost as if overnight our schedule went from being more laid back into full throttle into the Christmas season mode. I love it. I am helping out with 2 churches and their Christmas programs. In the Loures church we have cut out window stensils with the words of Isaiah 9:6.



We are also a part of their Christmas choir. Yup, that's right, I'm singing in a Portuguese Christmas choir. It's pretty awesome, even if I can't pronounce all th words all the time.
In the Massama church we have been busy creating stable backdrops, sheep and donkeys for the re-telling of the Christmas story narrative that the kids will be re-inacting. It's been so much fun. I have the pictures to prove that I have been a successful crafter. These pictures are for Kristy and Aimee :)

the kids in Massama practicing their songs during rehearsal. They are too cute.



Check out my little flock :) Impressive right?!?!

In the last week we have also helped out with 2 bazaars that the churches here have on a semi-regular basis. The missionaries have a neat relationship with a lady from Germany who's ministry is to assist other missonaries around the world by collecting clothes and household items and sending them to the missionaries. Well, Otto and Marjorie are some of the missionaries that have been blessed by this lady and her ministry, which means numerous times throughout the course of the year, big shipments are sent here. We're not talking about a few boxes, but rather huge storage containers filled to the brim with a wide variety of items. So, because Otto and Marjorie receive far more than they could ever make use of, the churches here hold bazaars where people from the community can come and take whatever they would like either for no cost or a minimal 10 cents per item. It's a neat ministry they have here.



So, we have had many laughs sorting through these boxes and boxes of clothes. Last week we discovered 2 fox pelts in among a bag of clothing. Talk about Random. I guess those Germans thought that the people here in Portugal could make good use out of these furs. Oh well, we had some good laughs over those. All that being said, I have scored a couple good shirts here and there that I will make good use of.

December 1st is a holiday in Portugal (although we are still unsure of what this holiday is for). The youth leaders here put on an evangelism workshop for the youth with the intent in getting them more excited to share their faith and bring friends into the church. I think I have mentioned before that the Portuguese are very private about their faith, specifically talking about Catholicism, so the idea of going out and telling people about Jesus, or even just kids telling their friends is a big deal. We are really hoping that the youth walked away from the event feeling a little more bolder in their faith. We continue to pray for these youth on a regular basis.
 
the kids here love to play ping pong. They played it every spare moment they could throughout the day.

 
The whole youth group and us. There were 16 youth that came out for the workshop. It was very exciting.

The 3 youth leaders here: Markish, Christian & Camille
These are incredible people.
 
Among our team we are attempting to make Christmas as "homey" as possible. We have set up our Christmas tree and have Christmas carols playing regularly. Unfortunately the baking supplies are limited here, so my typical Christmas baking routine and menu will be changed a little. I think sugar cookies and possibly cream wafers will be the only things I bake this year, which makes me kind of sad, but this is only one year. Traditions can resume again next year.



I think it's also starting to sink in that I won't be home for Christmas. I mean I knew I wasn't going to be, but this time of year makes me miss family and friends back home. If you think of me, you can pray that my feelings of homesickness would be minimal. I want to acknowledge that they are there, but not dwell on them and let them interfere with the ministry I am doing here. But I'm not going to lie, I am missing home - my bed, my own space and my old life. All this being said, I'm looking forward to experiencing a few different kinds of Christmas while I am here.
 
 Until next time, many blessings to you as you prepare your hearts for the birth of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment