Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Monsaraz

Today, 22 missionaries (Otto, Marjorie, Doug, Myra, Gary, Terry, Matt & Kiri and their 3 kids Mieka, Sofia and Josh, Joe & Paula and their 3 kids Pedro, Afonso and Debora, and us Trekers), headed out to a lovely place called Monsaraz, about 2 hours outside of Lisbon in the interior of Portugal. Let me just say that the countryside was beautiful. Nothing like sheep and arching cork trees lining the highway as you drive. Unfortunately the weather was not so predictable and in the end, we all got quite wet.

This is Monsaraz. It's an old walled city dating back to the 8th century.

Heidi and Sofia are ready with their umbrellas for the rain.

The city of Monsaraz is best known these days for their paper mache-like nativity sets and figures set up throughout the city. This city still has people living here, which I thought was pretty cool.




The Woman at the Well




The view of the country side from Monsaraz was incredible.




Sofia and I



Man, I love Europe.



I love the oldness of the city. I love the stone everywhere. It makes me feel like I am in a movie sometimes.







We all enjoyed a delicious cup of coffee in a very cute cafe in the city. It seemed as though we were the only people in this place.

Rachael and I enjoying our galou and meia de leite
YUM!

Josh found someone's leftover coffee at a table, so he started to drink some. It's important to note that this is one little boy who does NOT need any more caffeine running through his body :)

At the end of the city there is an ancient bull ring.





Rachael, Doug and I

After spending some time in the city, we had 1pm lunch reservations at Joe's favorite restaurant close by. All 22 of us enjoyed a very yummy meal. I had a piece of pork with deliciously sauteed mushrooms, french fries, salad, fresh bread with goat cheese and red wine. Talk about giood food! 

All 22 of us in a very small restuarant. I am blessed to be surrounded by these incredible people on a regular basis. It was a fabulous people spent with fabulous people. This was definitely a highlight of being here in Portugal thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment